the bruce oldfield world
Bruce oldfield obe
Bruce Oldfield was taken into care by Barnardo’s, the children’s charity, at birth. He was brought up by a seamstress, Violet Masters, which led to his love for designing and making clothes. In 1975 the Bruce Oldfield label was born and throughout his long career Bruce’s couture clients have included celebrities, aristocracy and royalty.
His showroom and studio in Beauchamp Place, Knightsbridge, London SW3 1NJ offer a couture service that is second to none.
The Style Icons
Bruce has been creating glamorous clothes for more than 40 years for some of the world’s most celebrated and elegantly dressed women. Royalty, iconic A-listers, socialites and celebrities are all drawn to Bruce Oldfield’s particular style.
royalty and high society
• 1973 Graduated from St Martin’s School of Art, London to critical acclaim. Staged one-man show at Plaza Hotel,
New York for Henri Bendel. Subsequently taken by Browns.
• 1974 Freelance designer in Paris (shoes for St Laurent, wardrobe for Charlotte Rampling)
• 1975 The Bruce Oldfield label was born and Ready-To-Wear collections were made for international stores (until 1990)
• 1976 Designed wardrobe for the film The Sentinel
• 1978 Began making couture clothes, Faye Dunaway, Barbra Streisand, Anjelica Huston, Diana Ross, Joan Collins, Bianca Jagger, Stefanie Powers
• 1980 Began making couture for Diana, Princess of Wales
• 1984 Opened first shop
• 1987 ‘Bruce Oldfield’s Season’, published by Pan Books
• 1988 Chosen to represent the UK with Jean Muir in Australian Bicentenial Fashion Show, alongside Gianni Versace, Oscar de la Renta, Donna Karan, Kenzo, Claude Montana, Missoni and Sonia Rykiel
• 1990 Awarded OBE. Received fellowships of the Universities of Durham, Sheffield and The Royal College of Art
• 1998 Became a Vice President of Barnardo’s
• 1999 Became a Governor of The London Institute (now The University of the Arts London)
• 2000 Became a Trustee of the Royal Academy of Arts
• 2000 The Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, mounted a retrospective of Bruce Oldfield designs
• 2001 Received Honorary Doctorate of Civil Law from The University of Northumbria
• 2004 ‘Rootless’, his autobiography, published by Hutchinson
• 2005 Received Honorary Doctorate from The University of Central England
• 2009 Received Honorary Degree: Doctor of Letters from The University of Hull
• 2011 Launched tableware collection with Royal Crown Derby; and his first fragrance
• 2012 The Royal relationship continues, Bruce dresses HRH Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall
• 2013 A new relationship beginning with high-visibility celebrities, Kim Kardashian, Taylor Swift and Rihanna sporting Bruce Oldfield Couture
• 2015 Launched ‘Bruce by Bruce Oldfield’ Ready-To-Wear collection in collaboration with The John Lewis Partnership
• 2017 Re-introduces a line of Custom-Made designs to sit alongside the Couture Collection at Beauchamp Place
• 2018 Launches his first collection of luxury leather accessories